Tell others "how" rather than "tell" them to do it

How? Not "Go do it."

     Reading through Leviticus right now and it is a hard book to read I'll tell you that. But, I made a decision for myself that I would read it carefully and not try to space out when I read it. I read through the first seven chapter which talk about the "how" part. God tells Israel to bring their offerings, but before that he told them how to do it. You see, many people today just preach about worshiping God and what that means. I can even come up and tell others that they need to pray more and read their Bibles. How does that help them? If I told someone to go and to to wash their car without them knowing, it won't be efficient. I am pretty sure Israel could have made some stuff up and bring some offerings to the Lord, but God wanted it to be done a certain way. He is not a God of chaos but organization. I will look at only two verses here because there is a lot overall here that I can look at. Leviticus 7:37-38, "This is the law of the burnt offering, of the grain offering, of the sin offering, of the guilt offering, of the ordination offering, and of the peace offering, which the Lord commanded Moses on Mount Sinai, on the day that he commanded the people of Israel to bring their offerings to the Lord, in the wilderness of Sinai." (ESV) 
     In the previous chapters, God told them how to bring each offering. With what animal and if they could not what the other option would be. God told them how to bring each offering in detail. Maybe we do tell people how but not specifically, which only confuses them. God did not just say, "take that animal and cut it in half, then wash it, and sacrifice it." I would be confused and lost. It is not an easy task I want to say though. It requires the knowledge part of the how. I can know how to do something, but teaching it to someone else requires a step higher. Let us make it a challenge to not just tell people that they need to do that or that. If they know how to read their Bibles, but their just lazy, then that is their own problem. Even Paul Washer once said in one of his podcasts that he does not like when a preacher goes up and tells you to love God, without telling you how to. We just maybe expect everyone else to know if we know something. In this short blog post, I just wanted to share something that God opened up to me. This whole thing that I am doing is the "Walk with God." I post what God showed me through His word, not what someone else told me. Paul said, "For I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it, but I received it through a revelation of Jesus Christ." (Galatians 1:12 ESV) Our goal should be to say the same thing as this. Do we receive revelations from just somebody else or from God himself? Go and now tell others about Jesus! Point them to the word of God, towards Jesus. The bible is all about how to live, not simply "do this and that."

Comments

Verse of the Week!

Psalm 16:11 ESV

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Popular Posts!

You are able to overcome