You are able to overcome

Overcoming

     Was there a time when you told yourself, "I am not able to overcome that sin?" "I am not able to overcome my old self?" Maybe you have said this when you had a circumstance in your life and there was no way out. Well, it seemed as if there was no way out. Maybe you are going through something right now in your life and you are telling yourself, "No way, there is just no way I am going to overcome this in my life." Whatever that might be; debt, sin, a problem in life, issues at work, family issues, divorce, etc. We all go through these moments in our lives that throw us off a bit. Reading Numbers and in the 13th chapter, we read the story of when Moses sent one man from each tribe to check out the land of Canaan. It was beautiful, amazing, even had good fruits, but these men were afraid for some reason. They said, "We came to the land which you sent us. It flows with milk and honey, and this is its fruit." (Numbers 13:27 ESV). You read/listen to their first part of what they're saying and you would tell yourself, "Man! Let's go then! Why are we standing here! We want that milk and honey and those fruits! Let us get up and go!" I would suppose one of them would tell you, "hold on, there is more." And then they would say, "However, the people who dwell in the land are strong, and the cities are fortified and very large. And besides, we saw the descendants of Anak there. The Amalekites dwell in the land of Negeb. The Hittities, the Jubusites, and the Amorites dwell in the hill country. And the Canaanites dwell by the sea, and along the Jordan" (Numbers 13:28-29) Caleb then tells them that they should still go and the men reply, "We are not able to go up against the people, for they are stronger than we are" (Numbers 13:31). 
     If you would have said that, after hearing the last part out, would you still want to go? You see, many people get hyped up and everything to living a Christian life or doing this or that, and then they come across reality and they back out. What happened? Did you really let fear destroy you and break you down? It is kind of interesting to me because Caleb went with these people and saw the same people, cities, fruits, and the hills. Caleb saw with his own eyes the same thing. Literally. But do you see how he reacts? He tells them that they are able to overcome it. The rest of the men argue that they are not able to overcome it. What is the difference here? Why does one say one thing and the other side says the completely opposite thing? Someone sees beyond the line and had faith while others only see the problem and not beyond it. 
     Tell me, did these people not also see God's hand in their lives? Did they not see how God has taken them out of Egypt? Have they not seen past victories in their life and manna from the sky? We simply see that miracles can also not strengthen a person's faith. Miracles do not save someone. Maybe we have a problem in our life and we do not see a way out. Maybe we are struggling with the same sin over and over and over and over again. We just do not see victories. We just don't understand why this is all happening. What we must do is trust in the Lord. Keep praying and reading God's word. Keep humbling ourselves and abiding in Jesus. I urge you to look beyond the issue or circumstance in your life and look to Jesus! Look to eternal life and see that all of this is temporary. 
     We know the story of the rich young man who came to Jesus. After Jesus told him to sell all his possessions he left sorrowful. Disciples tell him (Jesus) then, "Who then can be saved?" A question many ask today. I do not want to look at the question but at the response of Jesus. Jesus did not start explaining some theology to them. He did not tell them that they are crazy that they do not know this. His answers always amaze me because they are said with authority and humility. He simply tells them, "With man this is impossible, but with God, all things are possible" (Matthew 19:26). I challenge you today, whatever you might be going through right now, grasp this phrase from Jesus. Stand on this promise also. Tell yourself, "I may not know what comes in the near future. I do not know how I will resolve this issue. I do not know how I will pay off my debt. I do not know how to resolve this relationship. I know one thing, I will trust the Lord. I will do my part. I will worship and serve you God even while I wait. I am able to overcome it because there is nothing that you cannot do. All things are possible for you God." Let us look beyond the issue in our life and see victory and Jesus. Let us have our eyes ever toward the Lord! God bless everyone reading this so your faith will increase. Stand on God's word and promises and you will be good. 

Comments

Verse of the Week!

Psalm 16:11 ESV

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."