Don't be like Israel



     Don't be like Israel. I am currently reading through Exodus (First half so far) and I noticed one thing over and over again. Why do they want to go back to Egypt? Back to slavery? What was not enough for them? We are nowhere better, I would even argue that we are worse. Israel plainly did not want to be in the desert because of no food and water. They began to complain and sin and fall away. I would argue that we are worse because we do not mind going to church. Maybe doing a ministry or any other religious activity. But, we do not let God touch that one part of my life. I have something that I constantly "hide" from Him, thinking he will be OK with it. But he is not! We read Galatians 4:9, "But now that you have come to know God, or rather to be known by God, how can you turn back again to the weak and worthless elementary principles of the world, whose slaves you want to be once more?" (ESV) Paul is not writing this letter to the unbelievers or the un-converted Christians. 
     He is writing this to Christians who once believed in the Messiah. Who became free through Jesus. Paul writing this tells them that; why turn to this world? In other words, what is it that is not enough for you to be in Christ? For Paul, Christ WAS enough! He once wrote in Philippians 1:21 that "For me to live is Christ, and to die is gain" (ESV). What do I value in this life? What holds me or attracts me? The walk with God will not be easy. It is a fight we must fight. The first generation of Israel that was lead from Egypt could not enter the promised land for one reason. It was not because they were just not "good" enough, did not "satisfy" God. It is not because God was so strict with them and he simply made "fun of them". It is not because Israel did not "earn God's grace", which we try doing a lot. It is this: Hebrews 3:19, "So we see that they were unable to enter because of unbelief" (ESV). Yes, because of UNBELIEF! Because they lacked faith in the one who took them out of slavery. They did not see a point in all of this because even though they were physically lead out of slavery, their thoughts, action, behavior was still the same. God was working in their hearts and their behavior. Some might say that "Yeah, God freed me from sin. I am set free. I can do whatever I want to." It does not work like that. Why do you want to be saved? Is it to "escape" hell? Is it because you just want a life that is blessed? Just ask that today. Why am I saved? Why did Jesus rescue me? It is not for you to be like Israel, who wanted to go back to slavery. They thought it would be better there because they are whatever they wanted to. They did what they wanted to in a sense. When we go to this world, we can do whatever we wish to do. Just remember this though: Romans 1:18 "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who by their unrighteousness suppress the truth" (ESV). God bless and keep serving the Lord

Comments

Verse of the Week!

Psalm 16:11 ESV

"You make known to me the path of life; in your presence there is fullness of joy; at your right hand are pleasures forevermore."

Popular Posts!

You are able to overcome